Kingston historic Hochelaga Inn is an exceptional
example of late Victorian architecture with
The mansion was constructed for John McIntyre in 1879
according to plans by architect Joseph Power.
John McIntyre was a local lawyer who had married the
property’s owner, Harriet Macpherson a relative of Canada’s
first Prime Minister, Sir John A. Macdonald in 1876.
In 1878, McIntyre served as the mayor of Kingston, Ontario. John McIntyre
passed away in 1916, Harriet Macpherson passed away in 1903.
In 1907, the property was sold to the Bank of Montreal’s Hochelaga
Foundation. The Bank of Montreal used the mansion as place for visiting
executives to stay.
The name ‘Hochelaga’ comes from an Iroquoian village located where the city
of Montréal is today.
In 1933 its new owner, John McCullogh, converted the building into apartments
The property had two subsequent owners prior to 1985, when it was purchased by
a Picton hospitality company & converted to a B&B named the Hochelaga Inn
In 2014, Ottawa-based JAG Real Estate purchased the Hochelaga Inn.